Friday, September 21, 2012

Modesty - An Issue of the Heart + Survey

Modesty, an issue of the heart.

   Just the other day, I was reading a book and came across this verse: Luke 17:1 Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come." (emphasis mine)
   And it hit me - this is a great verse about why we should be modest! Not only in dress, but also words, actions, everything! I know there are those who think, "I dress this way because I like it, and it's semi modest anyways. If boys can't control themselves and stumble because of it - that's their problem." But it isn't! This verse says that for all of us, temptations will come (^things that cause people to sin^), but woe (grief, distress, lamentation, trouble) to the person through which the temptation comes!

   I don't know about you, but to me, this verse is scary! This is a warning to us young ladies to watch the way we dress. If we dress modestly, then it is not "woe to us", but, on the other hand, if we choose to dress borderline immodest or just blatant immodest, this verse says "woe to us"! Dear me!!

   I pray none of us ever play the part of the "one through whom temptation comes" - especially for our dear brothers in Christ! They need us help them - not be a stumbling block and a hindrance! 

   I want to share the link to The Modesty Survey that was done back in 2007. It was quite eye-opening, even for me, a young lady whose parents have taught modesty to for years! My younger brother and I looked at it together earlier this year and while I sat amazed at some of the results (though many I expected), my brother was just sitting there nodding his head (of course). 
   In the survey, Christian girls submitted questions, and Christian guys of diverse ages answered. Please take a look - it might just change your perspective on modesty =)

Thanks for reading! Please comment if you checked out the Modesty Survey & tell me your thoughts. 


   ***Oh, and if you haven't yet voted on my poll, please, please do! I am trying to get an idea of what sort of post topics would be most helpful and encouraging to you! Thanks ;-)***
~ ~ ~
Also, I want to thank all my new followers! From 10 to 20 in less than 2 weeks! Thanks - you gals are awesome! I hope you are blessed, helped, & encouraged by what you read here!

2 comments:

  1. I also like that modesty survey. I read it every now and then. I never paid attention to that verse before. It's actually pretty scary if you're the one dressing immodestly, y'know.

    Love,
    Moi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never thought about that verse in this way before. A great warning!

      Delete