Monday, April 23, 2012

Hebrews 3:17 ~ Obedience & Submission



  "Obey you leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your lives, as people who will have to render an account. So make it a task of joy for them, not one of groaning; for that is of no advantage to you."


   This verse is real thought provoking, it causes me to think about all the times I have given my leaders (parents) a cause for groaning when I could have given them joy. (To my shame, of course!)
    It is rather ironic that I have planned for weeks to do a post on this verse. Just a few days ago a group of ladies & girls met together to discuss obedience, and as we talked this verse came to my mind.


    "Obey and Submit" to simple words with simple definitions that aren't as easy to follow as they might seem. Our flesh always wants things "our way", and isn't ready and willing to obey or submit.  Submission and obedience are not qualities of the weak ~ but rather of the strong.
    Our God calls us to submit & obey Him, our parents, and our leaders. When we submit and obey, blessings follow, pure and simple. When we disobey and are rebellious, curses and punishments follow.
    We have a choice to make; Do we want blessings & joy or curses & punishment? We truly reap what we sow, and this choice is a crucial one that we all must make when faced with temptations to disobey & rebel.


    One important thing to note is that obedience is not obedience if you obey with a wrong spirit; a wrong attitude. You aren't obeying if you sit on the outside yet stand inwardly. Attitude is almost everything!
    Mom tells me to sweep the floor. I have two choices:
1 - I can say to my mom, "Yes, Ma'am." in a downcast voice and think unhappily, 'Why do I have to sweep this old floor again?'
OR
2 - I can say, "Yes, Ma'am." with cheerfulness and think, 'Wow, this floor is really dirty. I wouldn't want the Lord to come into this house and see this mess; much less walk on it! I am going to clean it as unto the Lord!'


    The Word of God says to do everything as unto the Lord. Everything means Everything! Wow! Now that is very convicting. If we would but remember this simple command and do it faithfully, how many times would it spare us from having bad attitudes and sinning? We can't sin as unto the Lord, now can we? No, of course not! That would be totally contradictory!
    If we do not obey & submit cheerfully from the heart, we might as well disobey & rebel. True, it is not always easy to do so, but we must strive to reach the goal - if we do not strive to submit & obey (especially our Lord), are we really saved?


    So, you tell me, would you prefer to have the blessings that come from obedience OR are you fine with receiving the curses that follow disobedience? I will definitely take the blessings if you don't mind - you can have the curses if you so desire.




    Important Note: Please do not think I am abdicating submission and obedience under all circumstances. Sometimes we are called not to submit or obey ~ and that is when those in authority over us bid us to do something against what our holy God says. I pray such a circumstance will never befall any one of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment